For the Christmas festivities, the European capitals compete with their entertainments and decorations from the beginning of December through to mid-January, to add magic to the event.
Enquire now about a short stay of 2, 3 or 4 nights during the month of December, with a stay in a French family or a communal residence.
Here is our selection of the “top 8 things to see/to do” for Christmas, during a visit to Paris or London.
The top 8 for Christmas in Paris
– #1 Walk up the Champs Elysées with its Christmas illuminations, take a break at the Christmas market stalls to enjoy a lovely hot tartiflette and ride on the brightly lit big wheel at the Place de la Concorde.
– #2 Marvel at the windows of department stores where retailers install animated decorations for both young and old, and take a selfie in front of the huge Christmas tree that stands on the ground floor of the Galeries Lafayette.
– #3 Visit the Disneyland Paris Theme Park which from mid-November offers a nightly show, a gourmet parade in a festive and magical atmosphere.
– #4 Get your skates onto the giant skating rink at the Grand Palace or at the City Hall and warm up with a glass of mulled wine with cinnamon.
– #5 Book a Christmas show: a magic show, the circus, a musical comedy, wonderful moments to share!
– #6 Admire the nativity scenes laid out at the Notre Dame Cathedral, the church of the Madeleine or the Basilica at the Sacré-Cœur, with their wonderful settings and their figurines.
– #7 Attend Christmas mass at a church to understand the meaning of this religious festival.
– #8 Purchase your souvenirs, festive articles, local products and hand-made items in the small wooden chalets at the Christmas market set up at the Trocadéro, at Saint-Germain des Prés or at the Place de la Nation.
The top 8 for Christmas in London
– #1 Visit the free More London Christmas Market where you can experience international cuisine.
– #2 “Shop till you drop” in some of the world’s best retailers like Harrods, Selfridges and Liberty.
– #3 Watch the iconic play “A Christmas Carol” at the Southbank Centre.
– #4 See the best Christmas light displays at the brilliantly decorated Oxford & Regent Streets.
– #5 Travel back in time to Victorian London and meet Father Christmas in his grotto at the Museum of London Docklands.
– #6 Sing Christmas Carols on Christmas Eve at Westminster Abbey.
– #7 Soak up the festive atmosphere at Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland.
– #8 Skate at the beautifully illuminated London Eye on the South Bank.